Sunday, April 25, 2010

1970 - Let It Be

After two attempts by Glyn Johns and one by Phil Spector to polish the Get Back tapes into something that all four Beatles could agree on Paul decided to take a stab at finishing the project himself. Paul took Phil's version and stripped away the orcestration and choirs but left almost everything else. He also re-inserted Don't Let Me Down back into the track list. When presented to the others the reaction was one of both acceptance and indifference. The general feeling was to just get the thing out and move on to the next project.

1. Two Of Us
2. Dig A Pony
3. Across The Universe
4. I Me Mine
5. Dig It
6. Let It Be
7. Maggie Mae

8. I've Got A Feeling
9. One After 909
10. The Long And Winding Road
11. For You Blue
12. Don't Let Me Down
13. Get Back

-
Reality Notes:

What I did was combined the elements I enjoyed of both Let It Be and Let It Be...Naked into one album. I kept the original song order and added Don't Let Me Down towards the end of the disc. I restored the chatter as well as Dig It and Maggie Mae. I used the ...Naked mixes whenever I felt they were an improvement over the originals and used the same take as the original. In all, I tried to preserve the feel of the original with the better sound of the new mixes.

Track 1 - ...Naked version but had to edit in the pre-song chatter as well as edit in the end fade from the original that goes on longer with the extra whistling.

Track 2 - ...Naked version but again had to edit back the pre and post-song chatter.

Track 3 - ...Naked version without any editing.

Track 4 - ...Naked version with no editing needed.

Track 5 - original version as is.

Track 6 - tried to use the ...Naked version but reverted back to the original because I preferred George's other solo and I missed the excessive reverb on the hi-hat cymbal. Then, after hearing a bootleg mix that includes both of George's solos I switched to that. I really like how it sounds like George intended the two solos to interact with each other

Track 7 - original as is.

Track 8 - the ...Naked version uses a completely different take than the original (actually an edit of several takes into one) that has a different feel on the vocals so I went with the original version.

Track 9 - ...Naked version but had to edit the Danny Boy ending back on.

Track 10 - ...Naked version with no edits needed.

Track 11 - ...Naked version but had to edit back the pre-song chatter.

Track 12 - slipped the ...Naked version here.

Track 13 - used the original version which preserves the pre-song chatter and ends with the thank yous and "hope we passed the audition" speech.

5 comments:

intrigued said...

"This file has been removed from the server, because the file has not been accessed in a long time."

Anonymous said...

This is cool! You should do like a fan made live Beatles album...where they all perform and sing Beatle and solo songs!

intrigued said...

Mega link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!2VYHEYrA!dmCNWjwF3DITz3pDvxp0eOAZ9tTSAz4S_V3sUP7iN1A

david said...

Nice job, but I still prefer the first acetate to all other versions. I think it captures the original concept of the project, in spite of having fewer songs and Get Back twice. On my personal version, I've added George's demo ( from early takes ) to the end of side one. It fits in really well.

Uncle Dan said...

Thanks. I enjoy each iteration of Get Back/Let It Be but there is something charming about the Spector version once you get past the choirs ans strings. Let It Be was also the first Beatles album I heard so there is some sentimental value there. This was my way of preserving the charm but getting closer to the original intention of The Beatles in the raw.