Friday, April 23, 2010

1973 - Red Rose Speedway

1973 was a busy year for Paul and it began with the release of Red Rose Speedway. Recorded mostly in late 1972 it was the second album under the Wings name. Said to have been planned as a double album but after a visit from John Lennon several songs were taken out of the running and the album was trimmed down to a single disc. Some songs that disappeared were to materialize later on the Beatles 1973 album "Out The Blue" others popped up on B sides.

Red Rose Speedway was a transitional album for Paul and Wings. Coming off the less than well received but still enjoyable "Wild Life" album we find the group exploring some new ground along with expanding on themes found on the previous LP. Encouraged by the hit single "My Love" and possibly some friendly competition from his other band the next Wings album - "Band On The Run" - would become a milestone in Paul's career.

  1. My Love
  2. Country Dreamer
  3. I Would Only Smile
  4. Get On The Right Thing
  5. Tragedy
  6. I Lie Around
  7. Mama's Little Girl
  8. Single Pigeon
  9. Loup (1st Indian On The Moon)
  10. Hold Me Tight>Lazy Dynamite>Night Out
  11. Little Lamb Dragonfly

Reality Notes:

Red Rose Speedway was originally intended to be a double album but was trimmed down to a single disc for many reasons but mainly to create a more accessible product. I have never been too enamored with this album so I had no hesitations in taking songs from it to construct the 1973 Beatles album "Out The Blue". This gave me the opportunity to reconstruct the album into a form I could enjoy provided the songs pulled from the album were as good or better than the ones I took off. I think it works.

I based this edit on a reconstruction of the original double album done by soniclovenoize. When you have the chance check out his site where he presents recreations of albums that never were including his own take on 70s Beatles albums.

After getting rid of the songs used on "Out The Blue" I then listened to what was left and set upon the task of further trimming the hours worth of material down to vinyl album length. I kept all the songs that remained from the original album and chose those songs from the leftovers that I felt flowed nicely. For the most part the songs are presented with little or no editing done.

The majority of editing was done on the four song medley found on the original album. We took the second half of the medley and used it on "Out The Blue". I tried to just delete the hole that was left and join the first half with the fade out reprise section which worked to some degree. I ended up just dropping the reprise and added "Night Out" to the medley using a new crossfade that worked beautifully.

The album splits nicely between songs six and seven.

1 comment:

intrigued said...

Mega link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!2RgUmQBQ!Zo3E0daWAS9TpmE_mHVTfegUW7g8T73wZfrPckSziQw